A Fatal Night at the Movies

See the source image

It can happen to anyone?

Do we have more technology in our lives than is good for us?

A man in England has been killed by an “electric recliner seat” among the “Gold Class seats” at a movie theater (http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/20/man-dies-getting-head-stuck-vue-cinema-seat-retrieving-phone-7401134/). I’ve never been in a movie theater where they had any of this, so it took me a few minutes to understand the news report.

So, the guy accidentally drops his cell phone–why he needed to take it to the movies with him, who can say?–and when he bends down to retrieve it, the chair’s electronic footrest comes up and, well, his head gets caught. Before they could somehow get him out of it, he suffered a heart attack and subsequently died.

I would’ve thought one of the last things we needed was new ways to make it cost even more to go to the movies, but I guess I’m just old-fashioned. All I ask of a chair is that it be a chair. I don’t want my chair to get ideas: they’re going to be bad ideas. Betcha they call it a “smart” chair! And they charge you extra to sit in one while you watch the movie: hence “Gold Class” seating.

And where is it written that we have to have our cell phones with us everywhere we go? Well, OK, I don’t have a cell phone. I don’t want someone bothering me on the phone while I’m trying to shop for groceries. Or watch a movie.

I wondered what movie this poor guy saw, but that information isn’t given. Whatever it was, it wasn’t worth it.

One thing about plain old chairs with no computers in them: they never kill you.