By Request, ‘For Unto Us a Child Is Born’

We know these words, don’t we? For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder… (Isaiah 9:6) And we also find them here, in Handel’s Messiah.

Requested by Thewhiterabbit, For Unto Us a Child Is Born, performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

‘Jesu, Joy of Men’s Desiring’

Is this one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, or what? Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring by J. S. Bach, conducted by Leopold Stokowski. We usually hear this hymn around Christmastime, but why wait?

And if the Holy Spirit isn’t in this music–well, never mind: it is!

By Request, ‘I Then Shall Live’

I Then Shall Live, performed a capella by the Gaither Vocal Band–if the melody of this hymn makes you think, “Why, that sounds just like Finlandia, by Sibelius,” give yourself high marks because that’s exactly what it is.

In fact, there are very many hymns and patriotic songs of various nations that are sung to the music of Finlandia.

Erlene, you asked for it, so here it is–a nice start to the day.

‘Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee’

Before plunging into today’s dreary news in a fallen world, let’s turn up the volume, way up, and boldly–defiantly, one might even say–proclaim the sovereign lordship of Almighty God.

From the Royal Albert Hall, music composed by Beethoven, sung by hundreds all at once, with a full orchestra–Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee.

Crank it way up.

Good Night: ‘Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring’

Let’s share this at the end of the day–one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, surely by the prompting of the Holy Spirit. If this doesn’t stir your soul, then maybe you don’t have one.

Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring, by Johann Sebastian Bach: Leopold Stokowski conducting.

Our Lord, our Shepherd, is worthy of our love and reverence.

‘Rejoice Greatly, O Daughter of Zion’

Laura, you requested it, so here it is–from Handel’s “The Messiah,” Rejoice Greatly, O Daughter of Zion, aria sung by Kathleen Battle.

Rejoice, Christians–for the Lord liveth.

A Vision of Jerusalem

This is from my chess buddy and dear friend, “Jessicafischerqueen.”

A glimpse of the holy city of Jerusalem doesn’t come amiss on Christmas Eve. But how much greater, how much more glorious and beautiful, will be the new Jerusalem? God is not yet finished with His work of creation.

But I have just finished putting up my Christmas tree, and I wish I had the know-how to take a picture and post it here. Not to brag, just to share.

I was going to write about a bunch of collidge stodents saying they wanted radio stations to ban Bing Crosby’s classic seasonal carol, White Christmas, but I have changed my mind. When I’m king, I’ll shut down 90% of the colleges and make the students and professors work for a living. The remaining 10% will probably be pretty good.

Merry Christmas to all!